Detail of the model of East Meon in Domesday times, showing the curia, or farm headquarters, of The Court House as well as the Saxon hall which preceded the 14th century structure we see today.
Musee de la Tapisserie, Bayeux
Victoria County engraving of Court Farm in the 1900s, when the Hall was still used to house farm equipment,
Victoria County History
1900s post card of the Hall at The Court House, used as farm buildings.
The Hall and farm yard in 1918
Court Farm etched by Robert Brydon in 1905, before Morley Horder bought The Court House and restored the Hall to its mediaeval splendour
This barn was built in the 17th century, possibly after the Court House and farm were confiscated from the Diocese of Winchesterand later donated by Charles II to Stephen Fox.
The barn today seen from the east.
Court House Barn in snow 2010
In medieval times the lands of East Meon Manor and Meon Ecclesia were owned by the Bishops of Winchester and either farmed in demesne by serfs indentured to the Diocese or let to farmers. The equipment and farm buildings for both were housed in the curia of The Court House which had two barns, one a tithe barn for the one-tenth of produce of tenant farmers, one a manorial barn for the grain grown on the demesne lands.. Following the Reformation, Court Farm was let to farmers who used The Hall and the other buildings to house their equipment and produce.